Sleeping with a broken arm
When you have a broken arm, it is not only quite painful, but it can also cause problems for a good and optimal sleep. Your arm can be stiff and painful, making it difficult to move it into a comfortable position. We give you some tips below to make sure you can still sleep well despite your broken arm. Read on quickly below.
Tips for sleeping with a broken arm
Here are some tips to help you sleep better with a broken arm:
- Try to sleep on your back. This is the best position for a broken arm as it rests the arm and reduces pressure on the painful areas.
- Use a pillow to support your arm. This can help reduce pain and keep the arm in a comfortable position. You can use a cushion to put your arm under your elbow, or use a pillow to hold your arm along your body.
- Use a side pillow. A side pillow can help keep your body in an upright position and reduce the pressure on your arm.
- Take painkillers before bed. This can help reduce the pain and make you relax so you can fall asleep more easily.
If you are used to sleeping on your side, it may be difficult to start sleeping on your back with a broken arm. You can try adjusting gradually by first sleeping on your side with a pillow between your arms. Once you get used to this position, you can try sleeping on your back.
General tips for a better night's sleep
When you have a broken arm, a good night's sleep is essential for recovery. But even when your arm is not broken, sleeping well is essential. Here are some general tips you can follow for a great night's sleep.
- Make your bedroom dark, quiet and cool. This will help you relax and fall asleep more easily.
- Take a warm bath or shower before bed. This can help relax your muscles and make you feel more relaxed.
- Avoid caffeine and alcohol before bedtime. These substances can make it harder to fall asleep.
Need additional information?
After the plaster cast is removed from your arm then wearing an elbow brace can speed up your recovery. If you have any questions about this, please contact our highly knowledgeable customer service team. They are on hand to answer all your questions and provide you with the right advice.